Cometary Activity Observations
The Minor Planet Center encourages the submission of reports of suspected cometary activity for NEOCP/PCCP objects and for non-NEOCP objects designated as minor planets (including objects with A/ designations).
A cometary submission can also be made programatically: An example script using Python can be found here.
Please read the following before reporting your information.
- All such reports of cometary activity should be made using this form.
- Any reports of activity for known comets made to this form will be ignored.
- Only reports of activity made using the form will be considered for inclusion in any subsequent MPEC announcing cometary status.
Any astrometry associated with the objects for which
activity is being reported should be submitted to the MPC through
- This will provide the MPC with the RA and Dec. coordinates of the objects at the time of the reported activity.
- This also allows for the standard submission of lists of observer- and measurer-names.
- Please only report one observation per submission. For example, follow up observations should be entered separately.
- Fields marked with an asterisk* are required.